Monday, September 28, 2009

I have 24 eggs coming on October 13. They are combination of quail...18 coturnix variety in the colours of white, golden and red. 6 button quail eggs in various colours. Buttons come in FUN colours like saphire blue and stuff. Cute. Tiny though...they're just for fun, like a parakeet, as the eggs are too small to eat and so are the birds. LOL.

Anyway, I wanted to do better with this hatch. As easy as it is to blame my husband, the sleep inferno, for the heat spike that killed 12 of our eggs, it was my fault for not ensuring a safer environment for them. I've corrected that and created a new incubator.

This is a larger styrofoam cooler. I've taken the light and rewired it to include an electric baseboard thermostat. I wired both the light and the thermostat to the original cord from the light. This way, when the incubator hits the desired temperture, the thermostat will cut power to the light. Likewise, once the incubator gets down to a certain temperature, the thermostat will switch the light back on again. I can get it to maintain temps of 2*+/-. That is excellent! YAY! I have also installed an old computer fan to an old phone adaptor. This fan will keep the temperature much more stable than a still air incubator. I'm VERY excited to see this puppy in action!

No comments:

Post a Comment